Naco 1/8/1995 - 4/14/2010


It's hard to write about Naco. I loved that dog more than tongue can tell and pen can write. In an earlier post I told the story of how he came into our lives. When I worked for Arizona Game and Fish, some of my duties were law enforcement related. I always took Naco with me- he just looked the part, and he had the best nose of any dog. One time I was checking the licenses of hunters and I stopped to talk to some hunters in a pick up truck. Naco was sitting on the front seat of my work truck. The window of my truck was rolled down, but I had gotten out of the vehicle to talk with the hunters. The next thing I know Naco has jumped out the window of my truck and is sniffing the edge of the hunters truck where the cap meets the bed. The driver seeing this says, "is that a meat detection dog."- Thinking quickly I say, "yes, and he is telling me that you guys aren't telling the whole story of your success." Sure enough Naco had alerted me to an illegally taken deer. I have a lot of stories like that. He made me look good more than once.

I always felt secure with Naco. He was my great protector. He was just so confident, so easy, and I felt he was wise. No matter where we lived, Naco slept next to my side of the bed. He was my dog. I loved to put my arms around him and give him a big hug. I miss him terribly.

Jo Ann  – (April 20, 2010 at 6:30:00 PM PDT)  

Cadie, I am so sorry to hear this. I remember the post you had written about him previously. What a wonderful boy he was. He had a very long life for a big guy. Happy and well loved too.

Hugs coming your way from me {{{ }}} I know you will miss him.

Helen  – (April 20, 2010 at 7:40:00 PM PDT)  

I'm sorry Cadie. No matter how prepared we think we are, we really aren't. *Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy. -- Eskimo Legend

Acadia Shelties  – (April 20, 2010 at 7:55:00 PM PDT)  

Thank you Jo Ann and Helen. I like that Eskimo Legend, so that is what I will hold dear. I know he lived a long, loved, and good life, but it was not long enough. Jo Ann, I feel for you and I am always worried that instead of announcing birthdays, you too will be writing your memories. I am sending hugs to you to give your crew while they are still with you.

Sheltiedoc  – (April 21, 2010 at 7:11:00 PM PDT)  

So sorry Cadie...it is never long enough. I love the story of your "meat detection" dog! There are some dogs that when they go it is like losing a limb...like ripping away a part of yourself. I know you will be feeling the empty spot next to the bed for a long time.

Sally and Dave –   – (April 21, 2010 at 7:36:00 PM PDT)  

I remember the earlier post, and thinking that Naco looked like such a wonderful, steady companion. I'm sorry you've lost him, but what good fortune it is that he was with you for so many years.
Sally

Jay Wise  – (April 22, 2010 at 1:59:00 PM PDT)  

Cadie-

It sounds that your Naco was as much a part of you as our Gracie was part of us. We are grieving alongside of you, and share the knowledge that your Naco and our Gracie are watching over us now....and someday we wil see them again :) GOD Bless. Jay and Barbi

Post a Comment