Dogs should be crated while riding in the car- a real life story

This is Rory during one of the snow storms this winter. Dr. Amy emailed this message, "I had a really scary experience about a week ago. I was hit head-on by a drunk driver who was driving on the wrong side of a little country road out near where I keep my horse. My car was totaled (the other driver was driving a monster Chevy Suburban), but I was able to walk away with relatively minor bumps and bruises. Rory was with me, but he was safely in his crate in the back. He didn't have a scratch on him. He is definitely the poster child for securing dogs in crates in the backs of vehicles:)

I am so glad to hear that both Amy and Rory were not injured. That sounds like a horrible accident.
I wrote another blog entry about crating dogs while driving explaining why crates are so important for transporting your dog.

Sheltiedoc  – (March 9, 2010 at 9:14:00 PM PST)  

When I saw that picture it made my heart catch- he reminds me so of my Andy. I think he is a double Tigger grandson, correct? And Andy was a Tigger son. What a sweetie, I'm so glad he was ok.

Acadia Shelties  – (March 10, 2010 at 5:11:00 AM PST)  

Yes, he is double Tigger. Rory's father is Ch. Acadia Rock Solid, HT who is a Tigger son and Rory's mother is Ch. Sunburst Acadia Here I Come who is a Tigger grand-daughter on the sire's side. Rory is quite a sweetie!!!

Shelamo Shelties  – (March 10, 2010 at 9:03:00 AM PST)  

Thanks for this post Cadie ... it is one I harp on with all the doggie people I come in contact with! I am sure it won't be long before it is mandated our dogs must be secured while in a vehicle. I just read an article that stated more than 30,000 accidents a yr are caused by unrestrained pets. I wonder how many have been injured in car accidents.

Acadia Shelties  – (March 10, 2010 at 11:14:00 AM PST)  

Me too!! that stat of 30,000 accidents a year being CAUSED by unrestrained pets is interesting. I never discuss the problem from the side of the dog CAUSING an accident, but it sure is dangerous.

Natasha  – (March 10, 2010 at 11:42:00 AM PST)  

Just last week I saw this guy driving with his passenger window rolled down all the way. His little dog had its paws ON the window ledge with the front half of its body out of the car, barking.

That person needs to read this post!!

Jay  – (March 10, 2010 at 2:54:00 PM PST)  

Has anyone here used, or know of anyone that has used a "dog seat belt"? They seem pretty effective, considering a crate (in theory) could fly through a passenger compartment? Both are better than a free ridin' pup, for sure. Glad you are safe Rory and Dr. Amy!

Acadia Shelties  – (March 12, 2010 at 6:44:00 AM PST)  

Jay, I did provide a link to the other blog entry I wrote about crating while riding in a car. If you click on the words "another blog entry" it will take you there- or- you can use the labels on the right hand side and go to Saftey Tips to find the entry. I discuss the seatbelts in that blog entry.
Of course I also welcome ANY comments people have regarding how they are keeping their dogs safe while riding in the car- so feel free to also post a reply comment.

Anonymous –   – (March 13, 2010 at 5:40:00 AM PST)  

It's certainly has been uplifting for me to receive everyone's words of encouragement and support! Rory and I are really very lucky :)

Post a Comment