It's A Boy!

Faith is currently delivering her puppies. So far 3 boys*

She had me worried at one point and I even called the Vet. She had started into light labor in the afternoon. Mike came home from work early and asked how she was doing, "good, I think she will have them during dinner- let's eat early." I said. We had dinner around 5:00pm (we normally eat late) and Faith had just started having some harder contractions.

At 6:23 I started writting down her contractions- two hard ones both within 6:23, 4 contractions within 6:30, 5 contractions within 6:40..... and so it went, about every 10 minutes she would have a series of hard contractions right in a row. From 7:42-7:43 she had 13 good contractions- but no puppy. Should I call the Vet? Mike, my voice of reason said, not yet. At 8:30pm I couldn't stand it any more- I called, but got the answering service, so I had to wait for him to call me back.

He called back right away. While I was on the phone with him, the first sack appeared. Phew! I guess I just needed to let Faith know I really meant it.

Birthing takes time- but I am not very patient when it comes to labor. So much CAN go wrong during birth. I just hate to see so much effort and no result. I know, I know plenty of people have stories of being in labor for HOURS.

The first puppy was a little larger than the other two. First puppy weighed 244 grams, 2nd puppy 214 grams, 3rd puppy 208 grams. All are doing well and so is Faith. There are more to come, but I am much more relaxed- and if she wants to take a few hour break between puppies, I am OK with that now- the first one (3 actually) is out and doing fine.
* Faith had 6 puppies - 5 boys and 1 girl.

Unknown  – (February 20, 2010 at 1:37:00 AM PST)  

Thats great! I'm glad Faith's birthing was successful. What 3 boys! Yay :)

Chris and Ricky  – (February 20, 2010 at 4:34:00 AM PST)  

Faith looks pretty happy in that photo! Congrats on the first 3 and I hope the rest of the delivery went well!

Acadia Shelties  – (February 20, 2010 at 10:12:00 AM PST)  

Yes, the last puppy was born just before midnight. She had all 5 boys first, then her last was the girl.

Dave, Sally, and Utley –   – (February 20, 2010 at 4:55:00 PM PST)  

Congratulations! Six future stars, to be sure!

Unknown  – (February 22, 2010 at 9:15:00 AM PST)  

Yay! I can't wait till they're old enough to come outside and run around!

Post a Comment