New *HT*- Ch. Acadia Rock Solid, HT


Rocky is 10 1/2 years old and yesterday he got the second (of two) legs necessary for the Herding Tested (HT) title. He complete this title at the first herding trial and test that the Shetland Sheepdog Club of Greater Baltimore hosted. The weather was clear, cold, and a little windy. I am so proud of Rocky for completing this title.
Over the years, I have occasionally "instinct tested" Rocky- and he always passed. One time he was hit by the Shepard's crook (accidentally) and then for a while he wanted nothing to do with the sheep. It has taken me all of these years to get to the point where *I* knew enough to even attempt this title with him. I am SO HAPPY that he was willing to participate in this quest for a herding title.
Rocky's litter brother, Payson (Ch. Acadia's Bright Idea, NA,NAJ,RA) also was subjected to my early attempts at learning to herd, and also at finding a trainer. I had wanted him to achieve the HT title because that would have qualified him for the ASSA (American Shetland Sheepdog Association) Versatility Certificate (VC). I hold that certificate in high regard, so I had really wanted Payson to get his HT. Unfortunately, he decided that it was the sheep that were the source of the bad experiences we had in my early attempts, and he decided not to participate anymore in herding.
In order for Rocky to achieve the VC, he would need a title in agility, obedience, or tracking. Rocky lives with a co-worker of mine (a few miles away), but it is unlikely that he will get trained in any of those venues, so - I will just have to be excited that he now has 1 title at the "other end" of his name (the breed championship being the title at the beginning of his name).

Cool Design Shelties  – (March 1, 2009 at 2:28:00 PM PST)  

Congratulations on the title you've worked so hard to get. Now there is balance in the pedigree name ;o)

//Bente

Sheltiedoc  – (March 1, 2009 at 6:05:00 PM PST)  

Congrats Rocky! The boys' brother Andy could have used some of their caution around sheep; I'm not sure he had tons of herding ability but he sure had chase drive and was absolutely fearless around the sheep and a total hard head. We did a few herding lessons and I remember seeing sheep bellies sailing over my head and thinking "this is a REALLY bad idea"...we managed to get his HT (thanks to Sandy Schmidt who got his second leg for me without even having seen him on sheep before- maybe because no one who HAD would have volunteered?! He was the last dog to run at the Michigan national and the only one who left the entire crowd and the judges laughing themselves silly. He then retired to his disappointment except for one ill-advised try on ducks...better left to your imagination!

Acadia Shelties  – (March 1, 2009 at 6:47:00 PM PST)  

Becky- too funny! Tucket was that same way (she managed to get a PT, but she loved to dive and chase). To see a posting about Ducks at the National- go look under Molly's labels.
Cadie

Anonymous –   – (March 3, 2009 at 2:15:00 PM PST)  

Congratulations, Cadie and Rocky! What a super accomplishment. I'm sorry I missed you when you were here in our neck of the woods last weekend (with Rory's dad). Margaret Tana, a friend of mine from agility, was also at Saturday's SSCGB trial with her Sheltie Jamie--they earned an HT leg as well. She just shared some photos from the trial with me and I saw you and Rocky! You guys look great.
Amy

Anonymous –   – (March 3, 2009 at 3:10:00 PM PST)  

Way to go, Dad!!! (and Cadie) I am soooooo proud!
Your son,
Utley

Post a Comment