Ch. Zion Acadia Town Heroine, CDX, PT, VCX (4/9/94- 8/13/08)
















Ch. Zion Acadia Town Heroine, CDX, PT, VCX
(4/9/94- 8/13/08)

2008 is proving to be symbolic in the severing of Mike and my “early years” through the loss of our pets. Patrick passed away earlier this summer, and now Tucket is gone. Patrick was a cat that Mike and I found 18 years ago in the woods while we were attending the University of New Hampshire. We took him back to my apartment where he and I lived for the next two years. He then lived with my parents while Mike and I got jobs and moved to Arizona. Many times we asked my parents to send him to Arizona, but they found they couldn’t part with him and he lived the rest of his life with my parents in Connecticut.
Mike and I got Tucket at the beginning of our second year of marriage and she was a part of so many “firsts” in so many facets of our newly married life. As Mike and I sit at the kitchen table and discuss her involvement in our lives, it is both heart-breaking and amazing to realize our active and interesting our lives had been and how involved our dogs were through it all. For me and Mike, Tucket, Copper and Naco are our core- the dogs we had at the beginning; the dogs that were truly our “family”. Tucket, Copper, and Naco went camping with friends, camping at the Grand Canyon, camping at a Buffalo ranch, and a lot more camping. On one camping/ quail hunting trip, Tucket found an injured quail and carried it all the way back to camp alive where she was named an honorary “bird dog”. We have had so many adventures and we have enjoyed remembering them through our memories of Tucket.
She loved to play ball, bite the water coming out of hose, howl, and play “find-it”. Mike and I didn’t have a TV and we entertained ourselves by training our dogs. Mike and I loved to hide objects and play “find it” with the dogs. They loved it too. Their paw-prints and names are in concrete in Arizona at the first house we bought.

When Mike and I started dating, I told him, “I show dogs”- but when we met at UNH, my childhood dog (Ch. Parker of Mirluc, CD) had passed away, and I was dog-less. Mike didn’t really understand what he was in for, but he knew our life would involve “dogs”. Tucket was the foundation of Acadia. She was my second Champion sheltie, but the first sheltie that I showed to all of the points. She finished her championship on July 4, 1997 and I pretended that all of the fireworks were for us. She produced the first litter of puppies I ever had and made it appear so easy. She was my first Champion/VCX, and she was the first dog I learned to train using the “new” positive clicker method. Tucket was sensible, fun, rough and tumble, a great camping dog, a great show dog, and a great friend.
Her end was an easy one. She did not suffer a prolonged illness. She was not tragically killed. We were home when her time came, and we had the opportunity to say “good-bye, we love you”. Mike and I are thankful to have shared 14 wonderful years with her.

Tucket, our oldest is gone and we are heart-broken.

Pamela Fugitt-Hetrick  – (August 15, 2008 at 8:47:00 AM PDT)  

Tucket was truely one of the great ones. She also produced some great girls that I hope made her proud. They certainally got their can do, get out of my way spirit from her.

See you some day at the bridge...
Pam Fugitt-Hetrick
Tucket Daughters
MACH4 Acadia Color of Passion HS
Acadia Sweet Emotion PT, AXJ, OA, NF

OBay Shelties  – (August 15, 2008 at 8:50:00 AM PDT)  

Isn't telling about the partnership you had with Tucket when what you remember best are your camping trips! Those are the special dogs; the ones that touch your lives on a daily basis. What happens in the show/performance rings are only a small part of that life. You were very lucky to have such a beautiful and happy little girl. In my eyes she exemplifies what a sheltie should be.

Luann  – (August 15, 2008 at 9:57:00 AM PDT)  

I shed tears for you as I type. We all know they will pass away one day, but when they do the pain and loss is great. Tucket has been an active part of your sheltie and home life for many years. Her abilities and your unending love for her have shaped and molded you into the outstanding breeder and person you are today. Though she is no longer here in the physical she will always be a part of you. You have invested your time, heart and soul into her and she gave all that and much more back. Yes, she was the start for Acadia, but she left a legacy behind for her mommy that will carry into the future!

Helen  – (August 15, 2008 at 10:19:00 AM PDT)  

Although I've only known Tucket these last couple of years, I do know how special she was for you and Mike.

two quotes seem appropriate:
*I will not forget you. I have carved you on the palm of my hand. — Isaiah 49:15
*To live in hearts we leave behind Is not to die. - Thomas Campbell

I will miss greeting her when I come up for herding.

Zion Lady  – (August 15, 2008 at 11:47:00 AM PDT)  

When you asked about buying Tucket I told you she was not for sale. She was just a puppy but I knew she was special in so many ways. But Cadie you and Mike were able to give Tucket the best kind of home and I am so happy I entrusted this special girl to you.
Tuffy, Ch Zion's Tuff-E-Nuff
Tucket's mother and her brother
Jamie, Ch Zion's Man About Town,
were the dogs who touched my heart the most. Tuffy died two years ago but her spirit visits me every so often which helps. Jamie has lived in Florida many years now but whenever we would meet up at the shows he would always remember me.
Thank you for giving Tucket the
best kind of home and love. You and Mike are such special people.
Shirley Vicchitto
Zion Shelties

sharon  – (August 15, 2008 at 5:39:00 PM PDT)  

Sorry to hear about Tucket. I remember seeing her when we came to visit a couple of years ago.

Hannah, a Tucket daughter

Sharon, Hannah & Hope

Acadia Shelties  – (August 17, 2008 at 7:58:00 PM PDT)  

Thank you for leaving comments. It is helpful to us to read these messages. I want to have the messages in one location, so I am including those that were sent directly to my email.

Dear Cadie & Mike,
I am so very sorry for your loss of Tucket. It is never easy when we loose those older special ones. You were blessed to have such a wonderful girl to start your line. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Tina Bjork
Heart Lake Shelties
http://heartlake.echoes.net/
Home of BISS Am/Can Ch Gairloch's King Of Hearts

Dear Cadie,
It was indeed sad news to hear that Tucket is gone. She was an exceptional dog! I always felt grateful that you were fortunate enough to have her. She was good at everything she did and certainly brought joy to you especially, and to those who knew her. She will be sorely missed.
I am reminded of the day Parker died. His dying was a huge loss. Even though I haven't lived with Tucket I feel the same grief. Dogs just don't live as long as humans so we have to live with that hurt. Some refuse to get another pet because they can't take the hurt of one dying. Dogs will continue to be a part of your life. Tucket, like Parker, will always have a special place in your heart. May the wonderful memories you have had with her sustain you.
With love and sympathy for you,
Mom

Cadie, I can't figure out how to post on the blog. I'm such a computer illiterate.

I am so very sorry to hear about Tucket. I think of her all the time. She truly was everything a sheltie should be. And every sheltie should have such a long, well lived and well loved life as she did!

Thinking of you and Mike.
Penny

Belaire  – (August 18, 2008 at 1:53:00 AM PDT)  

Cadie and Mike,
Ken and I were so very sorry to hear about the passing of Tucket. We know how very special she was to you both as we feel about our "JJ". Those special dogs come around only once in a life time.

Although we did not know Tucket, we hope that her offspring will carry on her legacy. Reading the posts one can tell she certainly passed on her good looks and ability to perform.

We know how hard this is for you both, but time heals all hurt and pain.

Our condolences to you both again our dear friends.

Gloria and Ken Hansen
Belaire

Acadia Shelties  – (August 18, 2008 at 5:54:00 AM PDT)  

Cadie, I am so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier! Wow, look at all the wonderful memories you shared. Tucket certainly figured in your lives in a very special way. She and Patrick will keep each other company now until you all meet again. Take care Cadie - know that your many friends are thinking of you and sharing in your grief. These Shelties are so special - they leave footprints on your heart!

Your friend in the fancy,

Jeannie

Sorry for your loss, wish they could live forever!!! She was a fun dog, loved to hog the bed and was a lead butt!

Cathy Meek

Oh, Cadie, I am so sorry; I know how very special Tucket was to you. These dogs wrap their little white paws around our hearts, and it never, ever gets any easier when we lose one.........................

Thinking of you, with love and sympathy,

Ellen Russell

sorry to hear of your loss. she was such a lovely girl.

Beki Vale
Sunnyvale Shelties
www.sunnyvaleshelties.com/

Acadia Shelties  – (September 3, 2008 at 7:52:00 AM PDT)  

Jo Virden sent me a very nice card in the mail- Thanks Jo.

These are other comments I got sent directly to me:
Cadie, I just saw this email, and I send my deep regrets for the loss of Tucket!! I don't know how to add to the blog, but I don't have a lot to say about her since I didn't know her well. I just know she was your first, and that is like a "first love". I also know that your dogs are your family, so I know you have been grieving, and I grieve with you. Sometimes the passage of time leaves holes in your heart. She couldn't have asked for a better life, though, and I hope you are finding comfort in that.
Beck Kelly

Lovely tribute, Cadie. We share your loss. We, too, loved Tucket- Dad

wanted to express my deep sympathy.
wishing you peace,

-Helen Smith

I am so very sorry to hear about Tucket. I think of her all the time. She truly was everything a sheltie should be. And every sheltie should have such a long, well lived and well loved life as she did!
Penny Brcich

So sorry to read about Tucket and Patrick. I try to visit your website every couple months and saw Tucket had passed on. They become a part of our families and it is difficult to see them leave us.
Cheryl Johnson

I am so sorry about Tucket, you know how special she was to me-she's the Great-Grandma, Grandma, Mom and Aunt to all of my current dogs and I love them all dearly, as I did her. It's makes me realize that Pepper is 12 and hard-of-hearing, and scares me on a regular basis when she's not there to great me when I come home-I usually find her sound asleep somewhere. I know I have little time with her and I am cherishing every moment.
My favorite Tucket story: When you brought her home to Tucson and I fell in love with her right away. I asked if you were going to breed her and I would be interested in a puppy. So Pepper came to be my beloved Tucket daughter. The first week home with my 11-week old terror (I use that term lovingly), I called you and said " you never told me it would be like this" and after a evil chuckle, you replied "Do you think I would tell you what Tucket was really like as a puppy? I wanted you to take her!" Pepper was into everything and learned all the other dog's bad habits in 3 days. I didn't think she would ever stop nipping at my heels-she still does it to this day when she is feeling frisky. I now know what to expect from these puppies and it doesn't bother me a bit!

I know how you must miss her and I wish you and Mike all the best.
Leslie Carle

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Tucket. I know she was such a special girl to you and Mike. I hope your other pets are doing well.
Jennifer Law

I was just reading your blog and did not realize that you had just recently suffered the loss of your beloved dog Tucket. It really touched my heart. I suffered the same thing last summer and still cry when I think of Sam. I believe that dogs like these now sit at the foot of God. I am so sorry. I am praying that Doc will finally help heal my wounds. We will see them all again someday.

Thanks for everything during this difficult time,
Rom Jenkins

Post a Comment