Dogs as Angles & a poem by Cadie

A friend sent me this email:

Adam and Eve said, 'Lord, when we were in the garden, you walked with us every day. Now we do not see you any more. We are lonesome here, and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us..' And God said, I will create a companion for you that will be with you and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves.' And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam and Eve. And it was a good animal And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his tail And Adam said, 'Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal.' And God said, 'I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG.'

I have long felt this way about dogs and a number of years ago I wrote the following poem:

God’s Living Presence
By Cadie Pruss

I believe in God.
I believe that God is love.
It makes no difference what race you are, what religion, how rich or poor, or sick or healthy; we are all loveable.
This I know because of doG.
I have seen doGs gaze devotedly at the homeless, wealthy, Hispanic, Jew, and invalid- The invalid is doG’s specialty.
My friend has a therapy doG. She takes him to hospitals to visit the ill. Just pet a doG and you will know- doGs have powers of healing.

I believe in God.
I believe that God is our confidant.
I believe that God does not alter the course of our lives, but walks with us as we live.
Our joys are exalted. Our sorrows, mourned.
I know this because of doG.
My doG walks with me everywhere, listening to every word. Listening is doG’s specialty.
He points out the small miracles on our walks that I was too busy to see. He leaps, and barks, and wags his tail when I am happy, and when life is too much to bear, he sits quietly, lending his support as only doG can. Just talk to a doG and you will know- doG’s are sympathetic listeners.

I believe in God.
I believe that God forgives our sins.
I know this is true because of doG.
DoGs never hold a grudge. When I get mad, storm through the house, send the doG out into the yard, and swear she will never sleep on the bed again, she waits until my storm has passed, and accepts my apology without inflicting guilt. Just denounce your dog and you will know, forgiveness is doG’s specialty.

I believe in God.
I have heard those who don’t believe say “prove it”. How cleaver for God to have put doG here for us, and named him so, that we may only have to look in the mirror to see. My doG is all the proof I need.

Anonymous –   – (July 14, 2009 at 9:04:00 PM PDT)  

Beautiful, thanks for posting! I especially like the first one :)

Cindy Yingling –   – (July 26, 2009 at 2:14:00 PM PDT)  

This is beautiful. A friend & I came to the conclusion that God give us our dog, since the spelling is reverse. I've had Briar Rose just over one year & know she has held me "together" through all the losses the past two years. I don't know where I would be without her. Bri sends everyone a soft little "woof"...she's happy & has made me so happy!!!

Post a Comment